Monday, May 23, 2011

anthropology major

I cannot find my list of courses that I had decided to take for my major so now I'm back to square one. It's not difficult since it's already listed on the MSCD website, but it's so hard for me to choose classes. I love linguistics and cultural anthropology, but it's a dying field and technically isn't directed towards me concentrated major. So I guess I need help?

Required courses:
Physical Anthropology and Prehistory
Intro to Cultural Anthropology
Human Evolution
Cross-Cultural Communication
Archaeology

I need 21 additional hours, 12 being upper division. Aside from the required courses, most of the classes are 3000 or 4000 so that's not a problem.

Classes I will take:
Mummies of the World
The Neaderthal Enigma
Forensic Anthropology
Forensic Anthropology Field and Laboratory Experience
Paleopathology (Senior Experience)

I think both Forensic Anthropology classes go hand in hand, like taking Bio 1080 and having to take Bio 1090 too because it's the lab.

Classes I want to take:
Vanishing Cultures and People
World Prehistory
Anthropology of Language
Human Variation
Primate Studies

I also did a random class search for the fall semester of all anthropology classes and there's one that focuses on the Mayan civilization! But the same problem keeps coming up to block me: cultural and linguistics is pretty much a waste of time because there's not much to still be learned and discovered.

So I need to decide which two other classes I'll be taking to complete my requirements. A part of me says it only makes sense to take Primate Studies because if I go into forensics, I'll need to understand the human body as much as possible. I'll already be taking Anatomy when I go back to get my Masters, so does it not make sense to study primates?

There's no rush to figure it out obviously, but you all know how I like making lists and preparing for the future, so any input is most welcomes and appreciated. Help me decide my future! ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment